As I chose Billy Bob’s Texas for my observation, I knew this was not my first time to in this environment, nor would it be my last. My first observation was definitely out of the norm of what I am used to experiencing at this location. I chose to sit and observe Friday, January 30, 2009 at approximately 1:15 pm. The space was very open, almost having an echo-like feeling to the place. I was surrounded with hardwood floors, western art décor, and cemented walls of hands. This one large space included many small areas such as: a restaurant, gift store, bull-riding arena, picture booth, and an arcade and pool table space. The size of Billy Bob’s was overwhelming to me since this was the first time I had ever seen this location with less than 300 people there. A big stage caught my attention; its structure is more noticeable when no one is performing. The dance floors were bare; normally they would be filled with shuffling boots. Few individuals were at Billy Bob’s this afternoon and the ones that I saw were mostly tourist. The work crews of Billy Bob’ were busy getting prepared for the nights show, bartenders were not hustling and bustling like usual, and tourist were just being, well, tourist. The activity was very slim. Pictures were being taken, tourist putting their hands against the molds of their favorite performer, work crews moving tables, and words such as “OO look” and “Texas” were often repeated. Without much emotion, the objects that caught my eye were a lot of detail. Tables and chairs were placed throughout the entire area, bars were full of liquor and beer bottles, pool tables were not being used or the arcade games, and big blue trash cans were empty. There were a couple of food baskets lying in the restaurant area due to some that had just finished lunch. As I drew myself more into the acts of what others were experiencing, I noticed people on cell phones, swaying along with the texas country music playing in the background and some were even having an afternoon drink. I heard many “wows” and “awws” as people were fascinated with the Texan traditions and décor. Much memorabilia caught the tourist’s eyes. I noticed many trying to reach the goal of getting that “feel” of Texas, or suddenly trying to act like they were from Texas ( by wearing boots and bandanas), while others were just trying to take in as much Texas as they could in a small amount of time. I could feel of air of much excitement as the tourist looked and experienced Billy Bob’s Texas. I could feel the workers had an emotion of drive, they were getting their job done and in a timely fashion. The emotion overall was joyful and relaxing.
The second time I observed this location was very similar to the last. This time I decided to appear at about 11:30 am on Saturday, January 31, 2009. Everything was almost identical except there happened to be many more visitors. The same people (mostly tourist) were in Billy Bob’s as well as the same events were taking place. Today I felt like I was people watching more than paying attention to the small details due to a larger crowd.
My third observation took place later that night (about 9:15pm). This observation was more of what I am used to due to the fact that most Fridays or Saturdays one can find me in this location. As I walked to the ticket booth, I noticed a totally different atmosphere. People were in very long lines and silence just wasn’t an option. Billy Bob’s Texas was unbelievably crowded. Almost every step I took there was a person directly in front of me and the hardwood floors were covered in all sorts of boots (well at least mainly). It had such a “bar-like” feeling to it. It was smoky, loud, and the wardrobe of everyone was very similar: boots, hats, and jeans. The details were almost invisible due to the loud and large crowd. The bars were no longer wiped down but surrounded by glasses clinking, people ordering, and many socializing. Trash cans were filling up and the ashtrays were now full of cigarette butts but most of all, the dance floor was no longer bare. The stage was occupied with a band called, “Cross Canadian Ragweed,” and the bathroom had a long wait. This atmosphere had taken a complete 360 compared to what I had observed earlier that morning. The main individuals were now cowboy ready to swing around on the dance floor instead of tourist. Girls were strutting and showing off their good aspects, some were stumbling, and some completely sober. Billy Bob’s was full of bartenders, security, tourist, and dances of all sizes and shapes. From cocky cowboys to shy girls just waiting for a boy to ask them to dance, I observed many types of individuals. The main activities were dancing, drinking, singing, and flirting. Others were preparing drinks or checking ID’s. Lots of social-life activities were taking place. People were eating, just people watching for the night (especially men looking for a potential girlfriend), and simply raising their glasses for a drink. Many of the same events took place. One would walk in, find a table or friends, buy a drink or two, and then walk towards the door where many had to throw away what was left of their drink and head for the parking lot. The goal of the individuals at Billy Bob’s was to have a good, country time, learn how to dance, and experience Texas. Many seemed to be that their goal was to get a lot less sober or find a potential girlfriend, and to feel country or be a cowboy for those couple of remaining hours. Emotions ran high here. Many were happy and laid back. Others were upset (most likely due to a boyfriend/girlfriend) and some were just glad to be taking in Texas.
Monday, February 2, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
I thought that the two most interesting things were how empty it was on a Friday afternoon and your opinion about what people were looking for while in the space. I have also only been to Billy Bob's when it is really crowed so to hear about it being quiet sounds weird. I thought it was really funny what you thought the motivations of those cowboys and young women were.
ReplyDeleteI still am wondering what Billy Bob's has to offer for those who don't like country music or honky tonk? If anything? My other question would be the age of those who attend are their old people too? Is it college students or locals or both?
I think you are on a really good track and I like the way you focused on how the space changed within two different time frames. Good job Lacy!
I thought that it was very interesting how the atmosphere completely changed from one night to the other. especially since both of the observations took place on a weekend. This could possibly mean that everyone that attends Billy Bob's is a local and regular at the place because they know what night to go on. I also thought it was interesting that you noticed the structure of the space more when less people were there?
ReplyDeleteOne question that I still have would be how the attitudes of the people changed from night to night. Also, what the demographics of the individuals were.