Wednesday, February 25, 2009

In class: 2-25

List 2-4 Overall concerns about research at this state in the process.
1. There are hardly any internet resources available on my topic. Therefore, someone's personal experience is hard to find unless I interviewed an interior decorator. Problem with this is that an interview is not a primary source.
2. I am not sure if I am approaching my argument correctly. I am analyzing the audience that are reached to from interior design magazines and tv shows.

How do you feel the source qualifies as a primary source?
A. The LUX magazine is direct tangible evidence of my topic. It shows what audience it is targeting which is my topic. It is not anyone else's opinion on who these publications reach out to...it is the publication
B. Hot on Homes television show is also a primary source due to the fact that it in itself is targeting the upper class individuals, it specifically is reaching out to them. Once againl, it is not someone explaining what is going on, it is where my argument is coming from.
C. An article written by Chameleon Interiors is a blog which equals personal experience. This opinion on who interior decorating targets is coming directly from the source. It shares how when the economy is down so are the jobs of interior decorators, showing how the individuals that use the designers usually have money to spend in the first place on luxurious, unneccessary items.

Why did you choose this source?
1. LUX- this is where I sparked my topic idea. I have been really interested in this magazine and wanted it to be the focus point of my paper.
2. Hot on Homes- This is one of my favorite shows due to the fact that I love dreaming of my dream home and seeing how the designers decorated the place.
3. Chameleon-I chose this source because April helped me out on finding a document that was from the internet, someone's personal experience which I desperatley needed.

What is the Source about?
A. This source is a magazine full of interior design items. It focuses on advertisment for many home decor stores and reaches out to the public to try to sale their items. It places luxurious items as a focus so that people will want the decor or atleast dream of having it.
B. This source is about selling homes around different communities. This source displays houses in a way to make people want to buy them. Its a tv show in Sunday morning, when many corporate business people are off work.
C. This source is about how the economy has affected the jobs of interior designers. How she is impacted as well as others in her career department.

What interesting rhetorical strategies did you notice in your source?
For the first two sources the strategy of style jumped out to me in more depth than the others. The way they worded advertisements, the tone of voice they used as they described different rooms, and the different colors that were involved approached me strongly. Also, the how the author targeted one specific audience while still catering to another knowing that he will not benefits from the "dreamers." The author also is involved in much personal gain and benefit since he structures everything around targeting a certain audience to bring in the paycheck. For the third source, it was more of a personal experience that caught my eye. This person has credibility of being an interior designer after stating how many years she had been in business. Pathos is also thrown in after the author makes your heart melt from seeing her struggle through the economic crisis.

1 comment:

  1. Lacy,
    When looking at the notes and the sources you have chosen to use I believe your controlling idea is that advertisements are only targeting those considered to be 'upper class'. Some of the concerns I have is that none of the sources are personal statements, such as an interior designer saying that is who she targets. Another would be that the topic may be too broad. I would suggest trying to narrow the topic down.

    ReplyDelete