Wednesday, February 4, 2009
2-4-09 Homework
Once again, my space that I chose to observe is Billy Bob's Texas. The meaning of this space for the audience is mainly to have a good time. Billy Bob's is one of the most well known bars/dancehall in Fort Worth. Another meaning of this space is to get the feeling of what Texas is all about or known for. Its a space where people choose to go and dance, watch a live band, and congregate with friends and family. Its a tourist attraction which means that for the tourist, the meaning may be in educating themselves on Texas and the lifestyles that many Texans live. Overall, its a place for a fun time, a place to laugh and dance with friends, and bring in lots of income for the one who created this famous honky tonk.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
I really do think Billy Bob's gives a tourist great insight to the lives of Texans. My parents actually remember going to Billy Bob's 25 years ago; it is one of the only things they remember about the time they spent in this area. That just attests to the fact that it does stick out in the minds of those that frequent it.
ReplyDeleteI think it is good that you decided to focus your paper on the difference between locals and first time observers of that space. It is an interesting approach that not many spaces could normally take as their writing approach. I wonder what the new commers think. Maybe you could ask for their perspective versus the perspective of someone who freuently visits. I also wonder if you see new things everytime you enter your space. Sometimes when observing instead of participating you see many different things.
ReplyDeleteI definitely agree with you that Billy Bob's is one of the most well known bars or places in the DFW area. Being from Florida, I always take my friends there who are from out of town to give them a feel for Texas. I went to the Cross Canadian Ragweed concert last weekend and it is definitely a fun place to be, however for events like that it gets really crowded and you would never realize how big the place actually is!!
ReplyDelete